3/4/06

Waking Ned Devine

This week's movie review is for an oldie, but a goody, Waking Ned Devine. I had never seen this before but a long time ago a very trustworthy source told me it was one of the best movies he had ever seen, so I had to give it a try.

Admittedly, I am a total movie snob. To the nth degree. If it isn't entertaining to perfection, it might as well be invisible. For instance, the movie Crash. Liked it. Totally got, and agreed with the theme. However, when rich black lady (played by Thandie Newton) goes on a swearing rant, for some reason the dialogue rubbed me the wrong way and I couldn't get into it completely after that. And I loved her on ER, and in Interview with a Vampire, so I don't know what the hell, but I snobbed it up and I have no shame. So back to my point.

I really liked this movie. There is nothing, and I mean NOTHING cuter than naked little old men. Just chillin' and ridin' their mopeds and takin' a dip. You know, whatever. I love the village they live in and it makes me want to be a totally stinky pig farmer just so I can live there. I love the accents. But I could have done without some of the farty dialogue (I use the word farty a lot. Its a very versatile word, don't you think?) and maybe just a tiiiiny bit less wrinkled booty.

Lets get specific, shall we? Resident old farts Micheal and Jackie, two lottery hounds to begin with, find out their old friend Ned Devine, in a village of only 52 residents, has won a very substantial lottery. Unfortunately, (and isn't that just Murphy's Law) he gets so psyched that he keels over. Sad. But the movie isn't really about the money, is it? Isn't it really about the village rallying together like a big family to better the lives of everyone there? To share in what one member, in passing, did for them all? Isn't it about life long friendships, and love, and how much more important they are then money? The ending tells it all and more. When Mummy says her son is kin to Ned Devine (otherwise thought to be without relation), and asks, "What does my son need more, 7 million pounds, or a father?" and really also means, "And I totally love Pig Finn and, oh yah, and who would want to leave here?" I say who indeed? Certainly not I. (Then rotten old lady's telephone booth is plummeted off the cliff, and I said good riddance in a very nonchalant way that might mean I have no soul but I'm ignoring that. Bitch had it coming. )

I love the feeling that I'm left with. That Ned Devine did the best thing he could do for anyone in his life, in his death. He solidified a family of 51 souls. That no matter what money they might have, that I could enter that tiny village today, and not a stone or piece of moss would have changed. Well, maybe more carefully tended gardens, more music hanging in the air. Wouldn't it be loverly?

I give Waking Ned Devine the Joon rating of Pretty Damn Cool. I wouldn't have given it the Oscar, but I'm glad I watched it. It makes the idea of money vs life completely different. And that's really what it is. Money vs. Life. Those are two separate things. Have you noticed that lately?

No comments: