2/17/06

Broken Flowers


You all saw Lost in Translation, right? This movie is like that, only there's no Scarlett Johanson (she is instead replaced with multiple botoxed old women. Believe me, they needed a few more of them to take the place of her) and you know those long “artistic” scenes where you just stare at the characters as they just look out the window, or drive in a car, and nothing happens and no one says anything? Without those scenes, this movie would have only been 30 minutes long.

Now there were a few good qualities about this movie, though I wouldn’t call them ‘redeeming’. For one thing, no one is better at playing a man who says little and does even less but still manages to pull you in than Bill Murray. I will see his next movie, even if its just like this, because I love him. I don’t know what my life would be if I had never met Raleigh St. Clair from the Royal Tenenbaums. And to be fair, there were a few funny scenes. But again, and I must stress this to maintain my credibility: these were not redeeming. Not.

Now, I am not the kind of movie goer who needs all my movies to be wrapped up in a neat little bow, but from start to finish this movie left me feeling like my watching it was a high-five, and someone left me hangin’. The ending, which I will not give a way here, made me actually scream, “WHAT?! THAT WAS IT? FUCK!” and I don’t use that word often.

My final word on this movie is to give it the Joon rating of a reluctant WTF?. The only reason it didn’t get my lowest rating is because I don’t want Bill to die in a fire.

You can feel free to leave comments about the many wonderful things in this movie, but they will fall upon ears deafened by the silence of watching Bill Murray’s thought process for 1 ½ hours. See example in picture above.

No comments: